Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Laundry related pins

I'm terrible at laundry. It's one of my least favorite chores. I know that if I do one load a day, it won't pile up. I know that if I do one load a day, I won't have a load sitting in the washer getting smelly. I know this- but it's so much easier to be lazy! With that out of the way, I'll tell you about some of the pins I've tried that are laundry-related.

First on the docket, Homemade Laundry Soap. To be fair, I didn't originally get this from a pin. I discovered this years ago when you actually had to look for blogs and bookmark them. Remember those days? I decided to go over it because it's pretty popular, and it's definitely something I've tried. I've used the powder version and the liquid, and there are certainly pros and cons to each. The powder is easier to make, since you don't have to cook it, and it's ready to use right away. The liquid one I made had to set up overnight before you could do anything with it. Meh... not my favorite thing. They're both super cheap and a little goes a long way, but I have to admit, I missed the smell of Gain Laundry Detergent.


I love Gain. As a small child, I would get excited on those rare occasions when we got to use it on our clothes. In my adult life, I decided that Gain was what I wanted my clothes to smell like. I don't think they make a scent I don't like. I broke down one day (I had a coupon) and bought a box (I use the powder- the smell is stronger). In a house full of cats, dogs, and boys, the smell of clean laundry delights me. I decided to split the difference and mix my Gain with Borax and Washing Soda. I think it works out pretty well, actually. My clothes get clean, my Gain lasts longer (which is good, since it's expensive), and my clothes still smell like Gain!! So, I don't have a picture of the Fels-Naptha laundry soap with all it's lovely, flaky soap bits. Here is my own concoction:


Which pretty much just looks like regular detergent. It's equal parts Gain, 20 Mule Team Borax, and Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. I use 1/4 cup, more if clothes are really dirty. There is no scientific basis for these measurements. They just seemed right and the clothes get clean, so there you go.
Also, I have tried making laundry soap with regular bar soap and I don't recommend it. Maybe others have had more luck, but I was not pleased with the outcome.

Recently I tried the Aluminum Foil Dryer Ball, and I must say... I was pretty pleased. It really couldn't be easier- toss a crumpled up ball of foil in your dryer to stop static. It doesn't soften your clothes, it just stops the static.

Well, most of the static. There may still be a little, particularly as you're pulling towels out of the dryer and they start rubbing together.

I am totally anti dryer sheet. Anything that comes between me and the smell of Gain detergent is a no-no. I realize that Gain makes dryer sheet- they don't smell the same. I also don't like the film they leave on clothes (they make your towels repel water- what kind of sense does that make?) and on the lint screen in your dryer.
If you use dryer sheets, take your lint screen out and run water over it. If the water goes through, you're golden. If it beads up top- congrats! You have a buildup of dryer sheet film. Just wash the screen with hot water and a little dish soap to remove it and you'll extend the life of your dryer. I'm sure all that information is on Pinterest somewhere, but since I don't use dryer sheets, I didn't pin it :)

See, clean as a whistle!

I've also tried vinegar as fabric softener. This is another one that I'm sure there's a pin for, but I didn't like it, so I didn't pin it. I put the vinegar in a Downy Ball and tossed it in the wash. I honestly couldn't tell a difference in the clothes, except they smelled faintly like vinegar- yuck! My clothes are plenty soft, thankyouverymuch.

I also tried this handy tip for organizing your t-shirts.


The hubby loves it. He can actually see what shirt he's getting, instead of unfurling it and finding it isn't the one he was looking for... and throwing it on the floor. He also doesn't have to dig through them to find them, so the drawer stays neat. That, my friends, is full of win :)

No comments:

Post a Comment